Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Corned Beef and Potato Pie

Well, the anniversary of the blog was very well celebrated thanks to all of you!

Initially it was about experimenting with two very different types of cuisine, British and Meditteranean , but as time went on, it became more of an experiment with food and cooking in general.
I started asking myself what kind  of British foods had I been missing the most since moving to Italy.
 The answer was more than obvious, pies!!


Us Brits really do know how to make pies, if I say so myself!

One of my favourite pies is this one.
Traditionally from the North of England rather than the South, it is probably one of the easiest and tastiest pies you could ever make.
The saltiness of the beef, the sweetness of the onions and the moist soft potatoes make it truly irrisistible!

I recommend you use tinned corned beef as the flavour tends to be stronger but any old corned beef will do.
I was pleasantly surprised to find Tinned Corned Beef in the supermarket here, but it was great to realise that even the Italians appreciate these gorgeous flavours.

I made  this one a few weekends ago for a picnic and really went down a treat with the Italian folk.
Hope you try it too!

So on with the recipe.
Corned Beef and Potato Pie

Ingredients

2 large sheets of ready made pastry (best quality possible)
500 gs or more depending on your taste of floury potatoes, peeled and cut into smallish pieces
2 medium onions
One 500 gs or more tin of corned beef
1 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
Eggwash for the pastry

Directions

Boil your potatoes until very soft and mash when done.
In the meantime, chop your onions and boil them until extremely soft and sweet.
Line your baking dish with a sheet of pastry, cover with beans/cereals etc and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Place your corned beef, mashed potatoes and cooked onions in a bowl and mix them all in very well.
Add your Worcestershire Sauce and season to taste.
Remove your pastry from the oven and pour the corned beef mixture into it.
Cover with the second sheet of pastry, use a fork to make some incisions and spread the eggwash all over it.
Bake in the oven on 180 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown!

Enjoy!!

Corned Beef Quich on Foodista

16 comments:

  1. Congrats to you!!!!! Looking forward to your next 100 posts!!!! this one looks awesome love corn beef, so the potato in a pie is a huge bonus!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for pies! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a yummy pie with potatoes and corned beef!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth - this is so grand - sort of NY Deli meets British fusion. Love savory meat pies, I do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just sounds so tasty! What a treat! I cannot wait to see your 100 post, the previous 99 have been a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! I love corned beef! This is wonderful comfort food,Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would make a good breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so delicious! Congratulations on your 100th post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy 100!!! I love savory pie - the glossy top on this looks yummy yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favourite. A beautiful lady once cooked me a corned beef pie in a broken oven. It was the best pie that I have ever tasted. Exactly one year ago..I so miss my little pie maker?

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow looks awesome adore your blog and your recipes, Happy mothers day sweet Ruth love Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, like the idea of using can corned beef...looks great with potatoes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. congratulations Ruth on your wonderful posts and this pie is just as great too

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent post! I think this is one of the best entries, and did you knew... If we're talking in absolute numbers, the United States, the European Union, Brazil, and the People's Republic of China are the world's four largest consumers of beef, so probable those countries has been increasing like witnesses about all this.
    23jj

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe it doesn't look so good but actually is an awesome recipe with an incomparable flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Saved as a favorite, I love your web site!
    My homepage : chinese chicken recipe

    ReplyDelete